I’m thrilled to announce that S. 31 has been officially introduced in the Senate. That means that it’s crucial that right now we all send a quick, personal e-mail to our lawmakers letting them know that we support it. (Senators’ and representatives’ e-mails are here.) This bill has three key parts, like three legs of a stool that work together to help keep guns out of the wrong hands:
- Criminal background checks on unlicensed sales of firearms
- A state law prohibiting violent felons from possessing guns (this would give local law enforcement the authority to prosecute violations)
- The timely submission of relevant court records to the National Instant Background Check System when a person has been adjudicated as being a danger to themself or others
If you’re interested in reading the bill in its entirely, you can see it here.
It is a huge accomplishment to have gotten this far, and looking ahead our work is cut out for us. While there area number of lawmakers who are fully supportive of this bill, there are many who are:
It’s up to US to help lawmakers see that this bill is necessary to help address our domestic violence problem and prevent other dangerous individuals from having easy access AND that their constituents support it!
This will require us all to make a commitment to reach out to our lawmakers on an ongoing basis. If they hear our polite and persistent collective voices day after day, democracy will work the way it should, and a bill that has 81% of Vermonters in support will get passed.
The First Step: E-mail your lawmakers right now to show your support of S. 31 and encourage them to watch our new ad that highlights gun owners standing up for background checks.
To help you do this:
- You can quickly find your senators and representatives’ e-mail addresses here.
- The link for the video to include in your e-mail is here: http://www.gunsensevt.org/gun_owners_for_background_checks
- Please also drop us a quick e-mail to let us know when you’ve done it, so we can keep a tally.
The Next Step: On Monday we’re going to begin a two-week Fact-of-the-Day campaign in which we’ll focus on one key fact each day to underscore why this legislation is necessary. We’ll send you a quick e-mail in the morning with the daily fact, and then all you need to do is turn around and e-mail it to your lawmakers. The fact itself will be powerful, but it will be even more powerful coming from a constituent.
Quick, personal e-mails only take a few minutes each day, but they could EASILY be the determining factor that will make this bill successful.
You have the power to make the difference!
Together we can do this!
P.S. The daily fact e-mails are designed to make it easy for you to stay informed and speak up. However, if you don’t want to receive these emails and do want to continue to receive general GunSenseVT emails, please just e-mail us, and we’ll remove you from this specific list. Thanks!
GunSenseVT · PO Box 2533, Brattleboro, VT 05303, United States
Like GunSenseVT on Facebook
Follow GunSenseVT on Twitter
What does thee say?